Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Perennial Favourite Blog


One, of many lifelong fascinations for me has been patterns. This image is of one of my 1st attempts at making a repeat pattern on the computer and it has been used as a basis for a couple of my jewellery pieces.
I have early memories of drawing 'walking the dog' type patterns and colouring each bit in a carefully chosen colour. I'd also spend ages looking at the patterns on wallpaper, carpet, lino & curtains - tracing the elements with my eyes and working out where the repeats began & ended. It turned into a sort of meditation. You can take yourself away to another place by simply entering the pattern and letting it lead you to another place.
Is it any wonder then, that one of the 1st blogs I ever read on a regular basis was the fabulous Print & Pattern, by Bowie Style. As it says on the profile it
"... is a website that celebrates the world of surface pattern design" She posts nearly every day about current design trends & reporting what is in the shops now. Based in the UK, it is a great way to keep abreast of what is happening over there in my old home country! What's more, she also does research trips around the world (currently Italy) and posts about many international designers. She has even posted about Perth's very own Little Design Horse (now known as Future Shelter)
If, like me, you love being mesmerise by patterns, go check it out & I challenge you not to spend waaaaay too long looking at the variety & following all her links. If I were you, I'd put a couple of hours aside!

No comments:

Post a Comment